What are Fabric Pots?
Give Your Plants The Best
If you haven’t heard of fabric pots before, then the short version is:
They are extremely healthy for your plants and really convenient for container gardening.
Fabric pots were originally designed as an alternative to hard plastic, ceramic, or clay pots. The first industry to use them were large nurseries growing trees. They needed a healthy and lightweight solution to protect what they were going to sell. Now fabric pots are being chosen by nurseries, farms, and backyards everywhere.
Crucial benefits fabric pots bring to you and your plants
- Air Pruning – The fabric pot naturally air prunes your plant’s roots. When the roots hit the side of the fabric pot, they detect air through the fabric. That tells the plant to focus on expanding the root system instead of circling a few roots around the edge of the container. This encourages vigorous plant growth and discourages root binding and root circulation.
- Soil Aeration – Breathable fabric pots offer optimal conditions to allow essential air flow into your soil. This allows your roots to stay healthy and to properly use the available nutrients in your soil or soilless media.
- Superb Drainage – Proper drainage is KEY (as you know). Water logged soil is a recipe for disaster. Fabric pots fight root rot and other damaging factors by allowing the plant to maintain an appropriate amount of water volume and moisture.
- Beneficial Bacteria – Many growers are concerned with cultivating microbes! They encourage plant growth as they eat (yes, eat) the naturally occurring organic matter throughout your media. In return for the yummy meal, they provide food for your plant as a natural byproduct. Fabric pots allow for those bacteria to thrive. The same concept works for fungi like mycorrhizal, too.
- Keep It Cool – Fabric pots keep your soil cooler than clay or plastic because of the breathability of the fabric. It will keep your roots cooler where traditional pots can’t.
- Flush Away! – Over fertilizing can be a devastating issue. The ability to properly flush your growing media is obviously important. Imagine flushing your plants without the worry of root rot. Fabric pots lessen the chance of root rot by allowing your soil to breathe and drain properly.
- Fabric pots protect your root ball from disease and possible plant murder by acting as a barrier to unwanted garden rodents and pests. They protect and care for your roots!
- Many roads lead to healthy plants. Breathable fabric allows for incredible versatility! Whether growing by soil, hydroponics, or aeroponics, fabric pots have you covered.
- Lightweight – Instead of lugging around clay or ceramic pots, choose a lightweight fabric pot.
- Machine Washable – After a harvest, or if you’re looking for a change, hose down the pot to free it from the majority of the dirt. Then stick it into your washing machine on a cold cycle and hang to dry.
- Easily Stored – If your pots need to take a break, easily fold them and store them for later.
Ultimately, you want to choose a planter that keeps your plants happy and safe. Not all fabric pots are created equal. When pots are manufactured with low-quality fabric, they could leech chemicals into your soil. Choose pots that are chemically stable and BPA free.
If you’re sold on fabric pots, then you’ll love our quality and prices.