Once Grassroots fabric raised bed has arrived, follow these steps to get it assembled.
What You’ll Need
The following items are included with the purchase of your Grassroots fabric bed:
- Fabric bed
- PVC fittings
These items are required but are not included:
- 1” PVC pipe (We recommend buying 20-foot sections to minimize waste.)
- Mallet or hammer
- File or sandpaper
How to Assemble
- Start with the beds on a flat surface. You will begin by cutting the legs of the frame.
- Pull a corner of the bed up and place a piece of PVC pipe inside the bed vertically.
- Pull the side fabric tight and cut the PVC where it meets the horizontal sharpie line near the top of the side.
- This piece will become a leg. You can now cut the rest of the legs to this length. There will be one leg for every notch.
- Put the proper fittings on to the legs. We will attach crossbars to them in a couple steps. Note: If you don’t have trellis fittings, you will use 3- and 4-way fittings instead of the 4- and 5-way fittings shown.
- Use a metal file or sandpaper to smooth the bottom of the legs. This will help the pipe fit all the way into the fittings and not get caught on fabric. This is especially important if you used a saw to cut the PVC.
- It’s time to cut the crossbars. Put a piece of uncut PVC through an end sleeve and cut at the vertical markings.
- You can use this length to make as many crossbars as you need.
- Place the end crossbars into their sleeves and fit the corner legs and fittings onto them.
- Start from one side and thread an uncut piece of PVC through an empty sleeve into a leg joint. Make sure the fabric is taut and cut at the first vertical mark.
- Stick the next leg on and continue down the length of the bed until you reach the next corner joint.
- Use a mallet to seat the PVC into each join for a snug fit. Skipping this step may cause the frame to gradually loose stability.
- If you have trellis fittings, now is a good time to build the trellis. Use the lengths of piping already cut to measure piping for the top of the trellis. You can make your trellis as high as you need.
- Before filing, use the provided screws and drill to secure the pipes in the fittings. Make sure not to over tighten the screws!
Download a PDF of instructions here.